So, some thoughts on designs for this year's set are as follows.
- No designs requiring complex masking. As much as the 2012-13 set with the "lightning" backgrounds were novel , the masking of the players in my photos to get rid of the backgrounds was a tedious and time consuming process.
- Rounded edges. Noting that my recent sets have been printed with rounded edges, I thought I'd try and incorporate the rounded edges into the design for a better feel between the design and printed outcome.
- Border. Full bleed for the majority of the card design last year, I'm thinking of going back to bordered cards this year. My initial thoughts were a basic white border, but now thinking of different colored borders based around the uniform color for each player.
|2014-15 Base design concept card version 1 - © 2014 Adam East|
|2014-15 Base design concept card version 2 - © 2014 Adam East|
|2014-15 Base design concept card version 3 - © 2014 Adam East|
The above are my first attempts. The bottom of the card was taken from the "Flashbacks" concept card designs I'd grabbed from an online tutorial. I'm working out how I want to modify this for several reasons.
- I don't like how the team logo goes onto the player photo - too messy in my opinion. eg The Cavalry logo gets lost in Hightower's glove in the above cards. Probably will put some type of shield behind the logo to create a distinction between the two.
- Player name. Working out how to incorporate the player name into the card. Thinking of shortening the team name to just the city, and replacing the full player position with the player name.I'll have to play around and see what looks better.