Monday, November 4, 2013

Jared Schlehuber - 2013-14 Melbourne Aces

This card features American import Jared Schlehuber, a player from the Kansas City Royals system who is listed as one of several designated hitters for the Melbourne Aces in the 2013-14 season. Schlehuber spent 2013 playing for the Wilmington Blue Rocks of the high A level Carolina League.

I was able to get out to the Australian Baseball League's opening night in Canberra last Thursday as well as the doubleheader on Saturday between Canberra Cavalry and the Melbourne Aces. This means that I now have a good selection of photos with which to start making my 2013-14 ABL cards. I'll write up some observations about the ABL Opening day later in the week, but for now, following my two "concept cards" for the series using photos from last season, this is my very first proper card for the 2013-14 ABL season.

Normally, I try and avoid having other players or people in my card designs, but I love this photo. Schlehuber was playing first base during the first game of Saturday's doubleheader, and Canberra player Kyle Perkins had just successfully reached first. I don't know what Perkins is saying to him, but the expression on Perkins face tells me that he's whispering something into Schlehuber's ear ....

2013-14 Melbourne Aces Jared Schlehuber card front - © 2013 Adam East

Kyle did actually comment to me after I wrote this up that "We were talking about how I only saw a couple fastballs all day". I still think he was trash talking him .... despite Kyle's insistence that he'd never do that because he's "a nice guy". :)

No comments:

Post a Comment