Unfortunately, the store only had complete boxes of the old ABL sets for sale, and weren't selling commons or packs from those sets anymore. Still I needed most of the 1996 Australian Baseball League set released by Futera. A box of the 1996 cards was cheap too - $45 for a box , so I dutifully plonked down my hard earned money and was rewarded with a box of 40 packs to break at a later date. I savored the box and left it unopened until after my flight home where I dutifully broke it open.
Here's what the box potentially offered.
- 40 x 9 card packs
- Set of 110 common cards (85 player cards, 6 ABl Awards cards, 12 ABL All Stars cards, 7 Retrospective / Checklist cards) - Checklist of all players on cards
- Bottom of the Ninth insert set (ea #d 3000) - 9 cards - inserted at a rate of 1:8 apckets
- Gold Prospects insert set (each #d 2500) - 6 cards - inserted at a rate of 1:18 packets
- Scott Metcalf Redemption card (ea #d 900) - 1 card - inserted at a rate of 1:288 packets
- Scott Metcalf Autograph Redemption card (ea #d 100) - 1 card - inserted at a rate of 1:2400 packets
With the stated odds, with normal distribution I should expect to get 5 Bottom of the Ninth inserts, and 2 Gold Prospects inserts.
Here's what my box (box #d 1617 of 6000 boxes) contained:
- Set of 110 common cards: 108/110 with 247 duplicates
- Bottom of the Ninth insert set: 4 cards - BON2 Steve Hinton, BON3 David White, BON8 Scott Tunkin, BON9 David Nilsson
- Gold Prospects insert set: 1 card - GP2 Glenn Reeves
- Redemption cards: nil
|1996 Futera ABL Bottom of the Ninth BON 9 David Nilsson (#d 3000)|
|1996 Futera ABL Gold Prospects GP2 Glenn Reeves (#d 2500)|
So, thoughts on the break. Really disappointed that I couldn't get a full set of 110 cards from the 360 in the box. I got all of the key commons, but missed out on a common player and one of the All Stars cards. I also was short changed on the inserts by one BON and one GP card, but the main reason I was buying the box was to try and complete the commons set. I would have been more excited at the Nilsson BON card, except that I'd already bought this card many years ago.
|1996 Futera ABL cards 97 Kimera Bartee (All Star subset) and 65 Geoff Blum|
|1996 Futera ABL cards 15 David Nilsson and 34 Kelly Wunsch|