Sunday, February 10, 2013

Congrats to the Canberra Cavalry - 2012-13 ABL Champions

I managed to attend both the 1st game and the last three innings of the 2nd game of the 2012-13 Australian Baseball League Championship Series in Canberra over the previous 2 nights. The advantage of catching the end of the 2nd game was I got to see the Cavalry take out the championship, as well as the post game awards and festivities. Congratulations to the Canberra Cavalry on winning the Championship.

Even though I'm historically a Perth Heat supporter (since the original ABL started back in 1989), I do support the Cavalry when attending their home games.  As much as previously I've been a proud wearer of my Perth Heat cap during Cavalry home games, one of the Canberra General Managers asked me who I would be supporting if it was a Canberra vs Perth final. When it's been Perth vs Canberra series, I've always gone for Perth. It was a big call, but I decided I would be supporting the Cavalry in the ABLCS ... not because I no longer supported the Heat, but because after 2 successive Championships to Perth, I thought it would be "Good For Baseball" to have the Cavalry win the ABL, rather than a Perth threepeat. The level of interest in baseball in Canberra has definitely skyrocketed with the Cavalry's success this year, and will hopefully continue to foster more kids into the game.

Now that the Cavalry have won one, I'll be more than happy for Perth to get back to winning the Championship next year ... and I'll still support the Cavalry ... unless they're playing the Heat :)

Sad to see some  opposition supporters labelling the Cavalry as Team USA and complaining about all their imports. As I point out - why weren't you complaining when their imports left them in last place for the previous two seasons?

They also seem to casually ignore the fact that other ABL teams have been luring Aussie Cavalry players interstate. The Crawford brothers moved up to the Bandits, Tim Atherton went to the Blue Sox (where he joined another former Cavalry Aussie - Luke Wilkins) and that even Perth manged to get a game out of former Cavalry relief pitcher Phil Brassington. And although not an Aussie, even Adelaide are using Cavalry's original Indian import - Rinkhu Singh.It's hard to get a good core of Aussies when they get lured to the "big smoke" when they start showing some promise.

Anyway, thought I'd share a couple of photos. The first is a panorama of the storms in the background of Fort Narrabundah during Game 1 of the ABLCS.

Fort Narrabundah - ABL Championship Series Game 1- Panorama (click image to enlarge) © 2013 Adam East

And a couple from the post-game celebrations of Game 2. My lenses are rather slow, so not the best for night photography, but thought I'd grab a few happy snaps anyway.


Cavalry players pile on pitcher Sean Toler after the final out - © 2013 Adam East

The Claxton Shield - © 2013 Adam East

The Cavalry celebrations begin - © 2013 Adam East


No comments:

Post a Comment